Friday, October 22, 2021

The Meaning of Authenticity.

 Just recently I came across a book with the words ‘Authentic Karate’ in the title, I did not buy the book, enough of those line my shelves and utilize space on my device as it is.

Having recently trained with a fellow practitioner of Ti out of my back yard my perspective is ever changing, just what IS Authentic Karate? 

The words can be expressed in different ways. Maybe it means an ‘unchanged’ form of Traditional Karate that follows strict standards of practice? Perhaps it means a form of Karate that is Authentically expressed on a personal level? Maybe both?

Most Titles are like click bait, meant to catch the eye and draw in the consumer for further review before clicking the ‘buy’ icon.

Much beyond that is cookie cutter information, save for a few cases, if you have seen one then you have likely seen them all… Albeit from a slightly nuanced perspective.

I have a hard time really getting into book study on this subject anymore as it seems the same things are repeated over and over with very little depth or growth beyond a certain point.

Perhaps that is due to a lack in the present terminology, but one could seek to remedy that through further elaboration and, indeed, further study under people like Jan Dam of the Genten Kai who utilizes terminology absent from Modern Karate altogether (not to mention the depth of concepts that seem absent).

I get asked how my Goju is coming along a lot by one of my Karate Teachers whenever I talk about Ti… As if Goju was an actual thing and had to conform to a strict standard beyond which it could not grow, or that it were somehow meant to be separate from Ti.

Does Authentic Karate fit in a box or does it contain the box as a root?

I practice from a small circle, or wheel, that spirals outward and in many directions. There is NO Goju insofar as a style or system of Goju is concerned. There are only the principles and from those one does not remain static or stationary so as to decay and lose spirit over time.

It occurs to me that the mind is easily ensnared by that which has been romanticized, wrapped in a nice package, with very little done to explore the depths and the root.

In my view there is value in everything, just as everything is flawed. The Authentic is not so much linked to history or Tradition, although that is part of it, but more about the heart.

I know very little about anything, so take or leave my opinion as you like, it cannot be helped how things are.

You want to learn Authenticity, take care of some plants and animals, get close to nature, you will see just how Authentic something can be… Being truly itself, yet according underlying principles and building blocks.

Nature is a strange thing and we are arrogant to think our views mean anything beyond our own noses.

No comments: