Monday, February 4, 2019

Distinctions.

The last article generated some great feedback, but not regarding the main point of the article itself. No, it was regarding my use of the words Teacher and Instructor.
An individual suggested that, to argue a difference between two words that mean, essentially, the same thing makes no sense.

For me that is like saying there is no difference between what it means to be a ‘Dad’ as opposed to what it means to be a ‘Father,’ or what it means to be a ‘Mom’ as opposed to what it means to being a ‘Mother.’
For me it makes perfect sense and getting caught up on semantics is missing the point entirely. The point is that one is all about themselves; making a name, a reputation, everything they do is about self promotion, and a little bit of self promotion is okay, but if it is not coming from a standpoint of putting the student first and getting out of your own way then all the student is there for is to serve as a promotional tool for oneself and their business.

The second part of this is operating from a standpoint of responsibility where one thinks of what would best help the student to grow; knowing that what they have could possibly be something that the student depends on for survival.
It is not about the person at the top at that point, it is about the student and their families, their livelihood, it is also about their attitude, their spirit, drawing out what is within (the word Education comes from the root Educari, to draw out).
There is so much more to being a good Teacher than even that, but ultimately it boils down to a calling in which self gain is not a focus. Can one earn money and be a good Teacher? Sure. Run a business? Absolutely, and it would likely promote itself aside from advertising costs. Word of mouth is a great thing.

For me the word ‘Instruct’ implies placing something within, it is also a bit too clinical for me, rather like Father and Mother, cold and formal.
Many people can Instruct, not everyone can Educate, so if there was a word I would seek to replace from the last article it would likely be Teacher to Educator, although that feels too formal as well. When the individual took offense to the light in which I painted the term Instructor it seemed they took it as almost a personal affront, possibly even on behalf of others that use the term to describe their profession.
I cannot speak for them, but the argument is ultimately purely semantic and pointless as it had nothing to do with the underlying message.
Why is there such an offense? Why place so much importance on words and descriptions? Sometimes they can be useful, other times people confuse the Forrest for the trees.

Titles do not mean much to me. So when they suggested I should change my title I was confused. I am not an Instructor, I do not even like to be called Sensei, often just Dave, David, or Hey You is fine so long as I am helping.
If the attitude of the person is one of service and speaks for itself from a place of responsibility and sincerity then what is the issue? Call yourself whatever you want. Do you identify more with a word or do you identify more with the actual thing? Are you Instructing or sharing? Training or playing? Again, words can be useful, but ultimately titles are not so important.

Humans like to have things illustrated for them, that is human nature, but even then we can only approach things from our own personal angle, complete with bias and judgments, even this post and the last one.
So long as people are thinking more critically then I really don’t care, I did what I set out to do and those seeds will grow.

I am not changing the article. I am leaving it as is. If something struck a nerve and you do not want to face the root cause for that within yourself then so be it. Blame me if you like, I don’t know you, but I do hope you have a great day and continue to be successful.
If something I say is not to your liking, sorry, it is not my job to please you, simply don’t read what I write... Others do.

No comments: